Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Living Room

Here is my living room.   When I purchased my home 4 years ago, this room only had one sofa, 2 small chairs and mauve carpeting.  I got out my tape measure and started to space plan because I could see how much I could do with this room.   I have a big family and love to entertain.   I wanted a space that could handle lots of people doing different things and this was it.  This space now has 5 chairs, 2 sofas, and 2 cocktail tables, as well as side tables.
 You see the back of the sofa as you walk in so I added this drop leaf table found at a garage sale in this color that ties in with the color in the lead glass windows.   This is also useful and gets pulled out when entertaining.
 I was disappointed with this fireplace but have to keep it for now.   I discovered the original blue prints and found that the previous owners changed the original mantle with built in bookcases that went went with the style of my home...a bungalow.  
Until I redo it, I painted and glazed the mantel which was white.  I painted the pink marble surround brown, and I can live with it until I am ready to redo this and make it a working fireplace. 
 I added a mosaic mirror that compliments the lead glass windows and was more contemporary with the gaudy look of the mantel.   I love this mix and tension of styles.

 This is the other half of the living room.   I wanted this area to be a cozy conversation area.  The sofa also faces the television wall, so it is good for family use on movie night. I don't have a family room, so the television is in this space.  The rugs help to define each area.  
 These are the lead glass windows...my art...and the reason I fell in love with my house. 
I kept my furniture plain because I did not want to take away from the windows. I pull the colors from the lead glass throughout the living room through the green accent wall, rust colored drapes, painted furniture, art, pillows and accessories.I stay with various shades of green, orange, and gold.   
 I mixed a vintage chair here with a retro ottoman in the conversation area.  I like how the square shade plays with the squares in the windows.   The shade is on a vintage lamp base...another way to mix things up. 
This room is now a comfortable place for the family to gather, read, watch a movie, or visit with one another.  Mission accomplished!     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the light behind the plant in the fireplace. What did you use to create that illumination? I want to copy that if you don't mind!