Monday, February 13, 2012

Setting the Mood...with lighting

I admit it...I am a "lampaholic."

I love that lamps act as an accessory 
and they function in a space.

One comment I appreciate that people make when they come to my home is that it feels cozy.
I think this is due to soft lighting 
that I like to use.  

When you have a lamp in your home, you need to think about placement and purpose.   If a lamp is used for reading, you would want to use a 60 watt lightbulb or higher. 
  
If a lamp is used for keeping a room softly illuminated, you can change the wattage to a 40, 25, or even a 15 watt bulb. 

Below I am featuring some areas in my home that are used for soft illumination. 
  






 I love how this lamp below cascades a leaf pattern on the walls and acts as an uplight. 
This one is near my entry.






This lamp below is on my dining room buffet.  
I love to have lots of candlelight, 
dim my chandelier, 
and turn on this lamp.
   
It creates so much ambiance 
with the combination of lighting sources.





This little accent lamp below has more of a night light affect and I have this 
in my living room.   
I love how the lighting 
affects the artwork too.



Here with the mirror, I actually changed the wattage because it is reflected and multiplied...another detail to pay attention to with lighting.


Look around your own home to see where you can add a lamp or play with the wattage and types of lightbulbs.   It is fun to experiment and compare different lightbulbs and wattages in the same lamp.

Add a little ambiance and have a 
Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: