Thursday, January 5, 2012

REDESIGN...Before and After...with a few new things

Here was the challenge... I wanted to help a friend freshen up her home on a budget...we thought it would be fun to spend as LITTLE as possible but make a BIG impact.   
See how we did...


BEFORE 
DINING AND LIVING ROOM










AFTER 

To update the color scheme, I used chocolate brown to accent the blue color scheme since the couch had to stay.  Slipcovers were too pricey.

We only had one gallon of $5 "oops" paint so we used it behind the sofa and on the opposite wall for balance.
The other walls got a fresh coat of left over paint from a friend. 
We needed more than one gallon so we added a gallon of "oops" paint similar to the cream in a large paint bucket.

We also purchased some chocolate brown accent pillows from Target.
 I used RIT dye to dye the drapes to a neutral soft tan color and get away from the white.
I painted the rods and invested in metal rings from Target and clipped the drapes up.   
The rings make it easier to slide the 
drapes to open and close them. 

The sofa table was behind the loveseat and was a light wood.   I painted this black.
 This is the wall opposite of the sofa where we added the brown color again.

 I restyled the shelves using what 
I could from around the house. 

 I picked up matching end tables for $10 from a church rummage sale and used my friend's lamps she already owned. 
 In the dining room, I did a white wash to tone down the brightness of the 
blue below the chair rail and removed the wallpaper border.
We also added a fresh coat of the same cream colored paint in the living room.  
 I added some lamp shades and straightened out the furniture.  

We painted the chairs and table legs black and restained the table top in a cherry stain.
 My friend had these silk cream panels 
in her attic!!!!Love when that happens! 

We hung them up just like we did in 
the living room.

We also added an inexpensive area rug form Menards that was about $30.
 I restyled the inside of the china cabinet.
This was a fun redo that I did with 2 of my good friends in 3 days while all our kids were at school....except for my little girl that supervised from her walker.

Working together and pulling resources from wherever we could is a great way to decorate on a budget!


1 comment:

Jennifer T said...

Love it Amy. Very inspiring.