Friday, January 27, 2012

Painted buffet.... before and after

I was looking around my dining room space and thought that things were feeling a little dark and I had too much of the same wood tones all in one room.   

I have a dark wood dining room table and chair set, a dark wood antique chest of drawers, a dark wood bar cabinet and the dark wood buffet shown below. 
See the pattern???? 

I love the mix of different wood tones and painted finishes and thought everything was "matching" too much...not my cup of tea!
  
   The buffet was one of my first furniture pieces my husband and I bought together.   It is 16 years old and a little worn out and felt like the best piece in the group to change.

I asked my husband if he would not mind if I painted the buffet.   He was confused as I am always panting things and I don't think he even notices anymore, 
but thought I would be courteous.
Communication is key to a good marriage.
   
His response was...."What is a buffet?"

Then I was trying to tell him what is is and where it was located, but he looked at me like ...why are you asking...so I got out my paint and got to work.

Before


 I love the painted distressed look of furniture but have to be careful since I live in a brick bungalow.  I don't want it too look to "shabby chic"  I save that look for the bedrooms.   I want it to look like it fits in with 
the style of my home.
So...I chose to do a creamy gold all over and a grey green for the top.  

          
After

 Then I added these mismatched crystal knobs from Anthropologie that have all the colors of the stained glass windows in my living room which is open to the dining room.  
 I distressed the edges a bit by scraping off the dried paint with a razor.
 I love how it turned out... and I am sure my husband will too once he notices it!   

1 comment:

The Elegant Chateau said...

You have a beautiful blog. I am passing the Liebster award on to you my friend....much deserved! See http://theelegantchateau.blogspot.com/2012/01/thank-you-my-friend.html. Diane